Winter can be a challenging time for many of us, so it’s important to have a regime to boost wellbeing. Here are 10 tips that will see you through the cold, dark days of winter and into spring healthier and happier in yourself.
10 tips to boost wellbeing
- Give yourself a double morning energy boost with lemons. Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to your morning bath or straight into your shower gel. Lemon oil boosts energy levels, stimulates the brain and smells great first thing in the morning. It can cure a hangover, or at least put you on the path to feeling more human! A drink of hot water containing a slice of lemon, with or without honey, will detox your body and help boost wellbeing for the day.
- If you’re feeling a bit run down and your energy levels are low, give yourself a boost with naturally occurring essential fatty acids found in avocados, walnuts and olives.
- Exercise boosts energy levels and enhances moods by releasing endorphins (the body’s happy hormones) into the brain. Go for a 30 minute walk at lunchtime or, if it’s a sunny morning, park thirty minutes away from work and walk in.
- If you’re having trouble concentrating try burning peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil in an oil burner and boost your brain power.
- Creativity helps the mind to relax and can relieve stress and tension. If you are artistic, try spending an hour sketching or painting. You may prefer to sew, knit, write poetry, take photographs or be creative in the kitchen.
- Indulge yourself! Scientific research has proven that happiness boosts the immune system so opt for pleasure rather than denial. Have that bar of chocolate, eat that cream cake and buy that new outfit.
- The winter months leave skin feeling dry and looking sallow. Boost your complexion with the potent antioxidants found in broccoli and black grapes.
- Lavender is well known for it’s therapeutic properties and ability to induce relaxation. It heals burns if dropped directly onto the affected area, it relieve headaches and cures for insomnia. Next time you feel run down, lethargic or just plain miserable, burn a few drops in an oil burner or add a few drops to the bath.
- Sex will boost energy levels and provide a sense of well being, but sadly it is one of those things that always gets pushed aside as the stress and strain of daily life take over. Make the time for it because it boosts the immune system, is great exercise and releases feel-good hormones into the brain.
- Last but not least, focus on healthy living. Give yourself the best chance of improving your wellbeing by focusing on your diet and healthy eating, cutting out the caffeine and alcohol, and setting yourself a regular bedtime and sleep pattern.
If you liked these 10 tips to boost wellbeing, you’ll find lots more over 50s health tips on our health channel.