Care homes are mainly for elderly people who can no longer live independently in their own homes. There may be a number of personal and health reasons why moving into a care home should be considered including needing increasing help with day-to-day tasks, easing damaging strains on the family, chronic ill health, frailty and confusion.
Choosing a care home
There are over 21,000 care homes in the UK. To select the appropriate care home, create a shortlist – three or four – and visit them to answer the following questions:
- Is the location convenient – can family and friends get to it easily?
- What are the times and rules for visitors?
- Does the atmosphere, the temperature, the condition of the rooms, equipment and facilities give the right impression?
- Are the staff friendly, efficient, calm, positive?
- What specialist training do staff have, and how many of the current staff have had specialist training?
- What is the home’s recruitment policy – staff on the payroll or agency staff, or if both, what ratio?
- Is the home convenient for access to local amenities, such as shops, parks, social venues?
- What are the common rooms like?
- Does the home have adequate disabled access?
- Do the residents seem happy and content?
- Is security good?
- Are there set bed times and getting up times?
- What are the daily menus, and does the food seem of good quality and appropriate portions?
- What times are meal times?
- Can residents choose to eat together or in their room?
- What are the daily routines, how are residents kept occupied and interested?
- What outings and in-house events are organised and how frequently?
- What personal belongings can be brought into the home?
- What health services such as chiropody, podiatry are available?
- How are medicines prescribed, administered and stored?
- Is there a designated GP?
- What is the procedure for hospital/medical visits?
- Is the latest Care Quality Commission report available?
- What is the complaints procedure?
- What are the fees, and what do they include and exclude?
- What are the possible extra costs?
- Is there a deposit to pay?
You can download a care home checklist from Final Choices.
This content is reproduced courtesy of Final Choices.Last modified: June 10, 2021