We get more done when working as a team, right? Nutrition is no different. Food synergy is a theory that nutrients complement one another and can improve your health. The key to this is removing processed foods from your diet and replacing with nutrient-rich whole foods combinations that aid effective absorption of the goodies your body needs for good health.
Salmon, prawn and almond curry
Helps with: Reducing inflammation in the body which is at the root of all chronic diseases
Food synergy: Oily fish (salmon, trout, herring, sardines, mackerel) – omega 3 + turmeric (curcumin)
This fish curry is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon and curcumin which is the active compound found in turmeric. Together this food synergy can amplify the anti-inflammatory effects of the individual nutrients alone. Reducing inflammation in the body can help to reduce the risk of many chronic diseases including those of the heart.
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 80g ground almonds
- 1 chicken stock cube (reduced salt)
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 250g green beans, chopped
- 2 salmon fillets, cut into chunks
- 150g king prawns
- ½ lime, juiced
- Handful coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan then add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Now add the pepper, courgette, spices, tomato puree and a splash of water, and cook for 1-2 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the almonds, stock cube and 500ml water to the pan. Check for seasoning and then simmer for 10 mins. Add the beans and salmon to the sauce and simmer gently for 3 minutes then add the prawns and cook for a further 1 min until they turn pink. Remove from the heat and add a little lime juice.
- Serve the curry with brown rice.
If you enjoyed Super meals to improve your health with food synergy, you’ll find more on food synergy and super foods on our Nutrition channel.Tags: food synergy, super meals Last modified: June 6, 2022