It’s true there are lots of oaty breakfast bars you can pick up in the shops, but when you consider the amount of unnecessary packaging they come in and the underwhelming texture, flavour and portion size, it’s difficult not to resent shelling out your hard-earned for something that could easily be done better at home.
So start the day with this true breakfast of champions that, once you’ve got the hang of, you can tailor to your own taste. What’s not to like about that?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 25g protein powder (optional), we used vanilla
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 250ml almond milk
- 400g oats
- 3 Zespri SunGold Kiwis + 1 for the top
- 120g blueberries
Zespri SunGold baked oats – Method
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, protein powder (if using), honey, vanilla, lemon zest and almond milk until frothy.
- Add the oats and stir until well combined. If you have time, leave the oat mixture for 30 minutes to allow some of the liquid to be soaked up.
- Roughly chop 3 Zespri SunGold kiwis and stir through the oat mix along with the blueberries.
- Transfer the oat mix to a baking tray. Slice the remaining Zespri SunGold kiwi and arrange on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Leave to cool slightly before cutting into squares and enjoy!
Thanks to Zespri SunGold Kiwi for this recipe.
For more recipes like Zespri SunGold baked oats, visit our Food & Drink channel.Last modified: August 13, 2021