Pork is a wonderfully adaptable meat and is great for summer dishes. This recipe for Cajun pork fillet with sweet potato mash is a delightfully sticky balance of sweet, savoury and spice that will have you craving more.
When it comes to healthy eating, lean pork is the perfect partner and a great way to help yourself. It’s naturally low in fat and sodium, containing only 4g of fat per 100g, and what’s more it packs a real nutritional punch being a rich source of protein and the energy boosting vitamins, B1 and B12. Add to that zinc to keep your immune system in top shape and selenium, an infection fighting antioxidant and you’ll soon be on the path towards healthier eating!
Time to cook: Approximately 25-30 minutes
Oven temperature: Gas mark 6, 200°C, 400°F
- 1lb (450g) lean pork fillet
- Cajun spice
- 2lb Sweet potatoes
- 2 Spring onions
- 30ml low-fat fromage frais
- 1 can of pineapple rings
- 5ml (1tsp) honey
Cajun pork fillet – Method
- Take the pork fillet and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle the Cajun spice and rub all over the fillet. Cook in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel the sweet potatoes and boil in a large pan of water for 10-15 minutes until softened. Drain and mash then stir through 2 spring onions, chopped and 30ml(2tbsp) no-fat fromage frais. Season well with black pepper.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking time place pineapple rings from 432g (approx) can, drained, onto a baking tray and drizzle over 5ml (1tsp) honey. Place into oven alongside pork fillet and cook for remaining 15 minutes of cooking time.
Serve the pork fillet cut into slices with the sweet potato mash, roasted pineapple and extra steamed green vegetables.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Cajun pork fillet with sweet potato mash, you’ll find more incredibly simple mealtime treats on our Food and Drink channel.Last modified: May 18, 2022