If you’ve got into the habit of healthy eating but only have a limited repertoire of meat-free recipes, this refreshingly simple Cavolo Nero salad with a tangy blue cheese dressing will help add some variety to mealtimes.
- 200g sweet potato, chopped into 1cm cubes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 80g cavolo nero, sliced
- 1-2 pears (~150g)
- 50g watercress
- 40g walnut pieces
Vegan blue cheese dressing
- 1 cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 crushed garlic clove, or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried dill
- 60g extra firm tofu
How to put together a Cavolo Nero salad
- Preheat the oven to 180ᵒC/gas mark 4.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for around 15 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile whisk together all the dressing ingredients (minus the tofu) until smooth. Crumble the tofu with a fork and stir it into the mixture. Set aside.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil. Blanch the cavolo nero for 5 minutes or until tender
- Quarter, core and thinly slice the pears.
- Mix the cavolo nero, watercress and pear slices in a bowl.
- Dry toast the walnut pieces for 2 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and sweet potato to the bowl. Drizzle over your preferred amount of dressing. Serve!
Don’t feel like making your own dressing? Buy a ready-made vegan blue cheese dressing. This dressing recipe makes more than you need, so store the remainder in the fridge.
Thanks to Discover Great Veg for sharing this recipe. If you enjoyed Cavolo Nero salad with sweet potato, pear, walnut, and a vegan blue cheese dressing, you’ll find more vegetarian meal-time recipes on our Food and Drink channel.Tags: blue cheese dressing, Cavolo Nero salad, sweet potato Last modified: July 17, 2023