Kale mac and cheese is the perfect antidote to the clocks going back and the shortening days. There is a voice in our mind that pipes up at this time of year that says: enough of the summery dinners – give me some hearty, warming comfort food.
So, here we have a healthy twist on macaroni and cheese packed with iron-rich kale. It is easy to make and easily storable. You can cook as a one-pot family dish or as individual portions ready for freezing.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
- 250g bag Kale, thick stalks removed
- 250g macaroni
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 350ml semi skimmed milk
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp English mustard
Kale mac and cheese – method
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Cook the kale in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and cool under cold water, squeeze out the excess liquid. Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook for 9-10 minutes, adding the leek for the last 2 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Off the heat gradually blend in the milk, then bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Stir in 100g cheese and the mustard, season well.
- Stir the sauce into the macaroni with the kale and transfer to an ovenproof serving dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes until golden.