This simple Mediterranean soup with cavolo nero is a welcoming and satisfying meal packed with nutritious super foody goodness. Like kale, cavolo nero is rich in vitamins A, K, B6 and C, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese and is a good source of lutein.
Coupled with protein rich cannellini beans and another hit of vitamins C and D from the tomatoes, this soup is as healthy as it is hearty.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 litre chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 410g tin cannellini beans, drained and washed
- 200g cavolo nero, shredded
Mediterranean soup with cavolo nero – method
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and pepper for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season.
- Bring to the boil, simmer covered for 6-8 minutes
- Serve with warm crusty bread.
- Sit down and eat as much as like.