Speak it quietly but summer is on the ebb, evenings are crisper and comfort food is back on the menu. If you seeking a super quick, sweet treat try this coffee and walnut mug cake.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 2-3 minutes
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 4 tbsp self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 25g California Walnuts, chopped
Coffee and walnut mug cake method
- Beat the egg in a 350ml heatproof mug with the milk and oil. Blend the coffee with 1 tsp boiling water and add to the mug with the flour, sugar and all but 2 tsp walnuts, mix well to combine.
- Microwave on full power for 2-3 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with reserved walnuts.
Coffee essence works just as well as instant coffee. You can also serve with whipped cream and a dust of cocoa powder. Add these when sprinkling with the reserved walnuts.
If you’re baking for family or friends, then you can also try this traditional Coffee and Walnut cake from California Walnuts.
If you enjoyed Comforting coffee and walnut mug cake – indulgence in a cup, you’ll find more treats to satisfy a sweet tooth on our Food and Drink channel.Last modified: September 24, 2022