Whether its lunch, dinner or supper, soups should be among your top choices when you are after an easy to create healthy meal. Here are a few of our favourite organic soup recipes we’ve published over the years.
- 1 tbsp organic olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced organic onions
- 1/2 small clove organic garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup diced organic courgette
- 1/4 cup organic frozen peas
- 1 tbsp organic celery leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Black pepper to taste
In a medium-sized, non-stick pan, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, then add the carrots and garlic and sauté one minute more.
Add the stock and bring to a boil, then add the pasta, zucchini, and peas.
Return to a boil, reduce heat to a bit more than a simmer and cook until the angel hair pasta is done (3-4 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients.
Check for seasoning, and serve.
Black bean vegetable chili chowder
Serves 6 – 8
- 3 cans organic black beans
- 2 tbsp organic olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup organic frozen corn
- 2 large organic carrots, diced
- 2 stalks organic celery, chopped
- 1 organic sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 to 3 organic jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh marjoram (or one teaspoon dried marjoram)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano (or one teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed coriander seed
- juice of 1/2 organic lemon
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
Sauté onion in olive oil or vegetable oil until soft. Add garlic, corn, carrots, and celery. Continue to sauté for approximately 3 minutes, and then add red bell pepper and jalapenos. Sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
Combine sautéd vegetables and cooked beans in a large pot. Add herbs and spices, lemon juice, and chocolate. Add water as needed. Simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.
Serve with organic grated cheese, sour cream or yogurt, and roasted pumpkin seeds.
Minestrone of herbed tomatoes and chickpeas
Serves 4 to 6
A meal-in-a-bowl from the Italian Riviera, where this soup is a favourite Friday evening meal. Bursting with the good tastes of bold tomato, fresh herbs and the subtle sweetness of chickpeas, the soup comes together in almost no time and has a secret bonus.
- 1 large organic onion, or 2 medium
- 1/4 cup Organic Italian parsley leaves
- shredded zest of 1 large organic lemon
- 1 to 2 tbsp organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can of organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh organic basil leaves
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh organic marjoram leaves
- 1 tsp fresh organic thyme leaves
- 2 large cloves organic garlic
- 1 28-ounce can and a 14-ounce can of whole peeled organic tomatoes
- 6 to 8 cups organic vegetable stock
- 6 to 8 ounces crumbly cheese of your choice
Mince together onion, parsley, and lemon zest. Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium high heat. Sauté onion mixture with chickpeas, salt, and pepper until onions are golden. Meanwhile, mince together herbs and garlic.
Blend into sauté for 30 seconds, then add tomatoes, crushing them as they go into the pan. Cook at a lively bubble until thickened, turn into a large saucepan or stock pot, stirring in stock. Simmer about 10 minutes to blend flavours.
Taste for seasoning and serve hot, sprinkled with Farmer’s cheese. This fresh domestic cheese stands in for the local fresh cheeses of Italy that rarely make the journey across the Atlantic. Although flavours are different, they work well in this soup.
Hearty lentil soup
Pulses are a fantastic source of plant-based proteins as well as B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. They are also a wonderful soup ingredient, adding bulk and texture to recipes.
1-15oz Eden organic Seasoned Lentils
1-14.5oz can organic chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt to taste
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
In a soup pot, combine the lentils, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and red pepper. Add salt to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the olive oil.
If you are not a fan of the texture of lentils, allow to cook through as above and use a hand blender at the end to achieve a delectable creamy consistency,
If you enjoyed these organic soup recipes and would like more organic home cooking recipes, visit our Food and Drink channel.Last modified: November 15, 2021