Breaking with the pattern of the first few months of this year, the sun is threatening to make an appearance this weekend – with temperatures soaring to about 20degrees. It’s also FA Cup Final weekend as perrenial end-of-season bottlers Arsenal take on the mighty Hull City. If that is not excuse enough to get out in the garden and dust off the barby nothing is.
Chicken on a barbecue can be tricky if you don’t check its readiness thoroughly. Some people choose to part cook in teh oven and then transfer to the grill – but you lose some of the taste this way.
To avoid an upset tum and enjoy a spiffing barbecue chicken recipe, simply stock up on the ingredients below and follow these easy to follow steps.
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of fresh or 2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tbsp of fresh or 2 tsp of dried marjoram
- 1 tbsp of fresh or 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp of black pepper corns
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs
Put the garlic in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt. Bash until the clove starts to puree. Add the pepper corns and fresh herbs and continue to grind until the peppercorns are crushed and the herbs bruised.
Place the olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl and add the contents of the pestle and mortar.
Score the chicken flesh with a sharp knife to let the herb flavours seep into the meat. Add the meat to the marinade and combine thoroughly.
- Leave for at least an hour before cooking on the barbecue. Put a sharp knife or skewer through the thickest part of the chicken to check that the juices run clear before serving.
Finally, sit back and enjoy – and let someone else do the washing up.Last modified: December 8, 2020