If lockdown has made you a slave to Uber Eats and Just Eat as the only avenue to delicious Japanese recipes, we have a recipe for roast cauliflower in Dengaku sauce that is just the solution for you.
Grow With Yakult has partnered with acclaimed Japanese chef Yuki Gomi to create delicious recipes, to encourage everyone to discover the benefits that growing your own and cooking from scratch as a way to improve your wellbeing.
With research showing that gardening and being mindful of the outside is good for our health, Grow With Yakult aims to encourage people to harness the various benefits that connecting with nature, growing and gardening can bring.
10,000 people who signed-up to Grow With Yakult received seeds for five Japanese vegetables – Ishikura Onion, Mibuna, Mizuna, Radish Mooli Minowase, Tatsoi – as well as a detailed guide on how to grow the seeds, gardening tips and recipe inspiration from chef Yuki Gomi on how to use the vegetables once grown.
To help inspire people to get cooking, Yuki has also made suggestions for alternative vegetables that can be used in the recipes.
Stir fried egg noodles with Ishikura onions, mushrooms & roast cauliflower in Dengaku sauce
This recipe celebrates the tasty sweetness of stir-fried Ishikura onions infused in aromatic flavours of oriental mushrooms with egg noodles. Serve with roast cauliflower in Dengaku sauce, which can also be eaten on its own!
Ingredients (serves 2)
Roast cauliflower in Dengaku Sauce
• ¼ Cauliflower, 200g
• Vegetable oil or sunflower oil
• 1tbsp Miso
• 2tsp Mirin
• 1tsp Sake
• 1tsp Dark brown sugar
• 100-150g Egg noodles, dried
• 1tsp Sesame oil
• 1tbsp Vegetable or sunflower oil
• 100-150g Ishikura Onions
• 3cm Ginger, 20g
• 2 cloves of Garlic
• 3-4 Shiitake mushrooms, dried
• 200g Mix of Oriental mushrooms, King Oyster, Shimeji, Oyster or Maitake or Enoki
• ½ Red pepper, 50g
• 50g Green beans
• 1tbsp Sake
• 2tbsp Shiitake mushroom stock
• 2tbsp Soy sauce
• 1tbsp Mirin
• Sesame seeds
• Seven Spice, Nanami Togarashi
• Chives finely chopped
Roast cauliflower in Dengaku Sauce
Pre-heat the oven to 190oC
Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets and place them onto a baking tray, lined with baking paper.
Drizzle on a generous amount of vegetable oil.
Place the tray in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender. The florets should have a light golden-brown colour.
To make the Dengaku miso sauce, mix together the miso, mirin, sake and dark brown sugar.
Take the cauliflower out of the oven. Drizzle the Dengaku sauce over each floret. Bake in the oven for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and put to one side, ready to serve.
- Prepare the Shiitake mushroom stock, by soaking the Shiitake mushrooms in 150ml of cold water, 2-3 hours in advance.
- Peel and finely slice the ginger and garlic.
- Chop the Ishikura onions diagonally, into 3-4 cm pieces.
- Slice the red pepper into thin strips, taking out the seeds.
- Trim the green beans and chop into thirds. Blanch the beans quickly in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain.
To prepare the sauce, mix together the Shitake stock, soy sauce and mirin. Set to one side, ready for use when stir-frying.
To prepare the mushrooms
- Remove the Shiitake from the water (reserve the water, this is your stock) and squeeze them out to remove most of the water.
- Slice the Shitake and King Oyster mushrooms thinly, removing the stalks.
- Remove the stalks of the Shimeji and Maitake mushrooms and break them into smaller pieces by hand.
- Trim the base of the Enoki mushrooms and cut them in half.• Heat up a wok or frying pan, with vegetable oil, on a medium heat.
- Fry the ginger and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add all of the mushrooms and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Add the sake and red pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the green beans, stir once and remove the pan from the heat.
- Bring a pan of at least 1 litre of water to the boil. Cook the egg noodles for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and drizzle them with sesame oil.
- Place the pan with the stir-fried vegetables back on a high heat. Add the noodles and quickly pour over the sauce. Stir well, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the stir-fried vegetable noodles to a serving plate.
- Scatter over the sesame seeds, chives and seven spice.
- Serve with the roast cauliflower Dengaku, either on a side dish or scattered on top.
- Ishikura Onion alternative: Spring onion or baby leeks
- Soak the Shiitake mushrooms in 150ml of cold water, 2-3 hours in advance. However, if you are short on time, soak in 150ml of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Follow the noodle brand’s instructions for the exact cooking time.
- Dengaku sauce will keep well in the fridge for 1 week. You can use it for a stir fry sauce or for different versions – aubergine instead of cauliflower works really well.
This recipe is reproduced courtesy of Yakult’s Grow Your Own campaign.
If you enjoyed Yumi’s recipe for Stir fried egg noodles with Ishikura onions, mushrooms & roast cauliflower in Dengaku, you’ll find much more on our Food & Drink channel.Last modified: July 23, 2021