This Italian stuffed courgettes (zucchini) dish has many regional variations, some with meat, many without. In this version we think the flavours of the courgette can speak for themselves – and it’s also kinder with the calories.
Preparation: 30 minutes
- 12 medium courgettes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups grated parmesan
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
Stuffed courgettes – method
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 9 by 12″ baking dish. Wash courgettes, cut in half lengthways and remove the pulp. Chop the pulp finely and set aside.
2) Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and sauté over a medium heat until transparent. Add garlic, basil and parsley and sauté for one minute more. Add chopped pulp and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3) Remove from the heat and blend in eggs, parmesan, 2 tbsp breadcrumbs, and 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
4) Parboil or steam the courgette shells for 5 minutes in salted water. Remove and drain well. Fill the courgette shells with the stuffing. Sprinkle the top of each shell with remaining breadcrumbs and drizzle tops with remaining olive oil.
By Sue Powell and Laurence Rogerson.
If you liked this recipe for stuffed courgettes, you’ll find many more ideas for vegetarian meals on our food and drink channel.Last modified: August 1, 2021