Under the new GDPR laws we have a number of lawful reasons that we can use (or ‘process’) your personal information. One of the lawful reasons is called ‘legitimate interests’.
Legitimate Interests means that we can process your personal information if:
- There is a genuine and legitimate reason for doing so and we are not harming any of your rights and interests
When you provide your personal details to us we use your information for our legitimate business interests to deliver content (articles, competitions and blogs) to you on the 50connect website in line with the preferences you expressed when you registered.
Some typical examples of when we might use the approach are for preventing fraud, direct marketing, maintaining the security of our system, data analytics, enhancing, modifying or improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our campaigns and fundraising.
50connect is committed to developing a free online community and information resource for people over 50.
We believe that people who register on 50connect share their personal details to be able to use the features and tools of the website such as email, private messaging, personal blogs, competitions and commenting functionality. We process the personal information supplied to us to conduct and manage the website to enable us to give you the best service, most appropriate marketing, information, service and products and provide the best and most secure experience. We consider this to be our ‘Legitimate Interests’.
The following are some examples of when and why we would use this approach in our work helping woods and trees:
- Direct Marketing: We will send email newsletters to people who have subscribed to our newsletter lists. We will also make sure our postal marketing is relevant for you, tailored to your interests.
- Personalisation: Where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services/communications for the benefit of our members and visitors.
- Analytics: To process your personal information for the purposes of visitor analysis, assessment, profiling on an aggregated basis, to help us with our activities and to provide visitors to the website with the most relevant information as long as this does not harm any of your rights and interests.
- Research: To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising and to develop our products, services, systems and relationships with you.
We will also hold information about you so that we can respect your preferences for being contacted by us.
When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we will consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights under data protection and any other relevant law. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
LIA 0.1 23052018Last modified: June 10, 2021