Happy holiday travel tips

Don’t be caught out by changes to travel rules since the UK left the EU. Here are some essential travel tips to keep all your family happy.
holiday travel tips

It’s been a long, long year but here are 50connect’s holiday travel tips just in case the government stick its 21 June target for relaxing restrictions around holidays.

Are we convinced the government will open up? No, but it’s summer and even if we’re unsure we can physically go on holiday, we can still do all the prep. Schools are approaching end of term and the summer holidays will soon be upon us. Parents and grandparents all over the country are gearing themselves up for the annual family getaway and the opportunity to see relatives from whom they’ve been separated for nigh on 16 months. So, as well as remembering to pack tickets and passports, cancel the milk and turning the heating off there are a number of things that should be considered when travelling with younger members of your clan.

Here, we’ve compiled a list of holiday travel tips to keep your family safe from harm this summer and ensure a happy holiday for everyone.

  • Make sure children’s vaccinations are up to date.
  • Take a first aid kit & ensure you have adequate supplies of any essential medicines.
  • Make sure you have adequate travel insurance.
  • Buy sunscreen in the UK as the sun protection factor (SPF) rating may differ in other countries.
  • Ask your travel agent to pre-book plane seats / babies cots as they will know which will be the
    best for families travelling with children.
  • Carry some travel sickness tablets as young children can get motion sickness.

Sun protection

  • Keep very young children out of the sun entirely.
  • Children should wear a sunscreen with a high SPF.
  • Children should be encouraged to play in the sun wearing sunscreen and protective clothing.
  • Remember to reapply sunscreen regularly especially after swimming, sweating or rubbing with a towel.
  • Keep children out of the sun between 10am and 2pm when the sun is at its strongest.
  • If a child does get sunburnt consult a doctor if blisters or a rash appear.

Holiday tips for the beach

  • Always check if there is a lifeguard and a flag warning system and make sure you know what they mean.
  • Children should be supervised at all times.
  • If there is a ‘lost children’ centre or meeting point, make sure your children are made
    aware of its location and what they should do if they become lost.
  • Make sure you and your children are aware of marked areas used for water sports.

Swimming pools

  • The bottom of the pool should be visible at all times.
  • Cloudy water could be a hygiene hazard.
  • Any children’s pool must be supervised and away from deep water. Never leave children in the pool unattended and check that there is an effective barrier dividing deep water from the shallow children’s section.
  • Make sure non-swimmers wear armbands.
passport holiday travel tips
Check your documents before you travel

Holiday travel tips now the UK is outside the EU

Your rights and responsibilities when travelling to EU countries have changed. Don’t be caught out by not having the correct documentation and

  • Get travel insurance that covers your healthcare. A UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) replaces the old EHIC. Be careful GHIC is free, do not be fooled by unofficial websites charging fees.
  • Check your passports – they must have at least six months left before expiry. They must also be less than 10 years old even if they have more than six months left on them.
    You can use the Government’s passport checker to see if you need to renew your passport. 

Driving in the EU

Green cards for insurance – if you are driving your own car in Europe, you will need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card for your UK car insurance to be valid in the EU. These cards will be available from your car insurance provider. You may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. The ABI advises you apply for a Green Card at least a month before you are due to travel. You may also need a Green Card for your trailer or caravan, so check with your insurer.

GB car sticker – your vehicle needs a clearly visible GB sticker when driving in the EU.

Driving permits – if you have a paper licence or your driving licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway from 1 January 2021. These are available from the Post Office. If you have a card driving license, you do not require an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Other things to be aware of when travelling to Europe

  • If you are going on holiday you won’t need a visa for short trips to Europe.
  • At border control you may need to show a return ticket and that you have enough money for your stay. 
  • When going through passport control you may not be able to use the EU or EEA lanes.
  • You won’t be able to take any meat, milk or any products containing these items into the EU. There are exceptions for powdered baby milk, baby food, or pet food required for medical reasons.
  • There are still restrictions on travel to many European countries due to Coronavirus, be sure to check the latest Amber and Red List countries.

Sources: Gov.uk, NHS, ABTA

If you have any holiday travel tips you want to share, you can leave your comments below or send them to [email protected]. For more content like this visit our Travel channel.

Last modified: June 11, 2021

Written by 10:24 am Travel